Millet is more than just an interesting alternative to the more common grains. For many years, researches have been done on the health benefits of millets and found millets helpful in improving the overall well-being by providing nutrients essential for our health.
Discover the Health Benefits of Millet:
1) heart-protective Properties
Millet should be included on your list of heart-healthy choices because of its status as a good source of magnesium. Magnesium has been shown in studies to reduce the severity of asthma, lower high blood pressure and reduce the risk of a heart attack.
2) Development and Repair of Body Tissue
The phosphorus provided by millet helps to form the mineral matrix of bone and aids in the metabolism of fats. Phosphorus is also an essential component of lipid-containing structures such as cell membranes and nervous system structures.
3) Lower Type 2 Diabetes Risk
Millet can help lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Magnesium in millet acts as a co-factor for more than 300 enzymes, including enzymes involved in the body's use of glucose and insulin secretion.
4) Fibre for Digestive Health
Because millet is so high in fibre, it’s a great food for digestive health. Fibres aid in the prevention of constipation, diarrhoea, haemorrhoids, and other digestive issues, as well as help, prevent colon cancer, which is one of the top cancer killers in Malaysia.
5) High Antioxidant Activity
Millet contains significant amounts of phenols. These compounds function as antioxidants that help prevent oxidative stress and damage in the body caused by harmful free radicals, according to the Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics.
Special diets: Millet is gluten-free, vegan-friendly, non-allergenic, and alkaline, great alternative food for sensitive individuals, high protein content (15 %), vegetarian, Halal and 100% organic.
A Few Quick Serving Ideas:
• Cooked millet can be served as a breakfast porridge to which you can add your favourite nuts and fruits.
• Ground millet can be added to bread and muffin recipes.
• Toss cooked and chilled millet with your favourite chopped vegetables and either chicken or baked tofu cubes. Add dressing. An easy way to prepare, delicious meal.
• Next time you are looking for an alternative to rice or potatoes, serve millet instead.