Vegan Kuih Bunga also known as Rosettes Cookies
Vegan Kuih Bunga also known as Kuih Loyang, Rosettes or Rose Cookies are a Malaysian festive cookies. What is interesting about this cookies is that, these cookies are super crispy, sweet, light and most importantly not oily.
To make rosettes you’ll need a special tool called a Rosette Iron or loyang (brass) moulds.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 1/2 cups of Coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed or sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 liter of vegetable oil
- powdered sugar for dusting
- First let's make the egg replacer by Soaking ground flax seeds in water for about 10 minutes
- Once ready, combine the egg replacer and coconut milk into a large bowl.
- Whisk sugar and baking powder and flour into the wet ingredients 1/2 cup at a time to make the batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Move the batter to a shallow bowl
- To make the cookies, heat the oil in a large pot or wok. Place the rosette moulds into the oil while it heats.
- When the oil is hot remove the moulds from the oil, taking a few seconds to allow excess oil to drip off, then place the hot moulds in the batter, being careful not to let the batter come up over the moulds. Quickly move the batter-covered molds to the hot oil.
- As the cookies fry, they will slip off the moulds. If they stick, you can carefully tap the handle of your mold on the side of the frying pot to enourage the cookies to drop off from the moulds.
- Once the cookies are off the moulds they will need need to be carefully turned. Leave the iron in the hot oil while you are doing this so it maintains its temperature
- When the cookies have browned, use a tongs to remove them from the oil, carefully shaking off excess oil, then place them on a paper towel to cool.
- While they are still a bit warm, dust the warm cookies with powdered sugar
- Continue frying cookies until all the batter is used.
- Store cookies in an airtight container to keep 'em crispy.
This recipe makes about two dozen delicious rosettes.
At Vegan Pantry, our personal and brand values are founded on animal compassion and cruelty-free practices. We have curated an inclusive space for vegan and vegan-curious folks to explore healthier, kinder, and more sustainable lifestyle options. Feel free to browse our pantry of vegan goodies, or learn more about vegan lifestyle by subscribing to our newsletter!