Vegan Biryani Rice
2 cups white basmati rice
2 tablespoons olive oil (or sub coconut oil)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup diced carrot
4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or use ginger paste
1 tablespoon cumin ( or whole seeds)
1 tablespoon coriander (or whole seeds, cracked open)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or one cinnamon stick)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom (or 3 crushed cardamom pods)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 bay leaves
1 star anise pod (optional)
4 cups Vegetable stock
3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1 can of Global Organics Chickpeas (No Added Salt), drained, rinsed
1/2 cup raisins
Garnish: 1/4 cup of Cashew Whole and chopped parsley or cilantro
Side: Green Creamy Chutney
1. Rinse and Soak rice in a bowl of water while you prep ingredients.
2. In a large skillet, or shallow dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until tender and golden, 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium, add the veggies, garlic and ginger, and saute 4-5 minutes. Remove one cup of the mixture and set aside.
3. Add spices and bay leaf, and stir one minute, toasting the spices. Drain the rice and add it along with veggie stock and salt.
4. Top with global organic chickpeas, raisins and the cup of veggies you set aside. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower heat to low. Cover the pot with a thin dish towel, then place the lid over the top of the towel, and bring the four corners of the towel up and over the lid. This will tighten the seal and keep the steam in, allowing the rice to cook more quickly and evenly.
5. Simmer on low 20-30 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the liquid. See notes.
6. While it is simmering make the Cilantro Mint Chutney or this easy green chutney!
7. Uncover the Vegan Biryani and fluff up with a fork. Top with the toasted sunria cashew whole and cilantro. Serve with optional Chutney.
***Instant or “Quick Cooking” Basmati Rice does not taste good here.
• Basmati Rice: liquid to rice ratio may vary -please refer to your rice package instructions. For example, my basmati rice says 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. If yours says 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water, please adjust veggie stock accordingly.
At Vegan Pantry, our personal and brand values are founded on animal compassion and cruelty-free practices. We have curated an inclusive space for vegan and vegan-curious folks to explore healthier, kinder, and more sustainable lifestyle options. Feel free to browse our pantry of vegan goodies, or learn more about vegan lifestyle by subscribing to our newsletter!